Published on July 18th, 2023 | by Staples Soccer0
Wreckers Announce ’23 Calendar
Five night matches — and home contests against always-tough Ridgefield, Brien McMahon, Norwalk, Greenwich, Wilton, Trumbull and Danbury — highlight the 2023 Staples boys soccer varsity schedule.
The Wreckers kick off the regular season Friday, September 8 versus Ridgefield. That match — like all home games — will be played at Wakeman Field. Staples moved to the Bedford Middle School site last year after the opener against New Canaan, when Loeffler Field became too rough a playing surface.
The blue-and-whites’ night games — all away — are at New Canaan, Darien (a first-ever visit to the Blue Wave’s football stadium), Bridgeport Central, Fairfield Warde and Fairfield Ludlowe.
There are rare back-to-back matches: Thursday and Friday, September 21 and 22, at Stamford and Darien.
There are 2 Saturday home matches: September 30 against Wilton, and October 14 vs. Trumbull.
Staples’ 16th game — the maximum allowed by the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference — is at home against Harding. The Presidents were members of the FCIAC from 1992-2014, but are now not part of any league. The Wreckers’ all-time record against Harding is 19-2-1.
There are 3 pre-season scrimmages, all away: August 28 (Greens Farms Academy, 4 p.m.); August 31 (Fairfield Prep, 4 p.m.), and September 2 (the traditional Wethersfield Jamboree, 10 a.m.).
The full regular season schedule:
- Friday, September 8, vs. Ridgefield (Wakeman), 4 p.m.
- Tuesday, September 12, @ New Canaan, 6:30 p.m.
- Thursday, September 14, vs. Brien McMahon (Wakeman), 4 p.m.
- Tuesday, September 19, vs. Norwalk (Wakeman), 4 p.m.
- Thursday, September 21, @ Stamford, 4 p.m.
- Friday, September 22, @ Darien, 7 pm
- Thursday, September 28, vs. Greenwich (Wakeman), 4 p.m.
- Saturday, September 30, vs. Wilton (Wakeman), 12 noon
- Wednesday, October 4, @ Bridgeport Central, 6:15 p.m.
- Friday, October 6, @ Fairfield Warde, 6 p.m.
- Tuesday, October 10. @ Fairfield Ludlowe, 7 p.m.
- Thursday, October 12, vs. Harding (Wakeman), 4 p.m.
- Saturday, October 14, vs. Trumbull (Wakeman), 4 p.m.
- Tuesday, October 17, vs. Danbury (Wakeman), 4 p.m.
- Thursday, October 19, @ St. Joseph, 4 p.m.
- Tuesday, October 24, @ Westhill, 4 p.m.
Lucas Carpi — shown in preseason action last year — will help lead the 2023 Wreckers.